Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Google OS - I believe I was right

disclosure: I own Google shares

I'm not one for blowing my own trumpet, but sometimes it feels good to be right. A month ago I blogged about HTML5, and I said the following:

"I believe it is part of Google's long term strategy to make the browser the de-facto application platform. To displace Windows as the dominant aplication platform. You can see it already with Chrome, how the tabs on the browser have become the new taskbar, and the integration of browser tabs as "applications" into the host OS. For example, features like local file storage and the canvas provide a path for Google Docs to become more like MS Office. You can be sure that some of the drive behind the HTML5 standard is coming from the Google docs team."

Yesterday Google announced Google OS: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html. Google OS will be based on Chrome and a Linux kernel.

From the announcement:

"For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies. And of course, these apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform."

I will admit that I didn't think they would actually write an OS to support this strategy, but the strategy is clear. Unfortunately we'll have to wait at least a year to see it in action...




No comments: